Subject: Welsh music
From: "Sam D. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Aug 1995 18:24:29 MDT

     FWIW, some of my favorite Welsh trad. music performers and recordings:
          Aberjaber
          Ar Log
          Plethyn
          Gorau Gwerin series of collections ("Best of Welsh folk")
     The above all available from Sain.
     Also, a good recent recording from Saydisc (CD-SDL 406):
          Traditional songs of Wales (Caneuon traddodiadol Cymru)
          performed by Siwsann George.
     Sain, of course, also has many recordings of fine choral singing.

     I think there was a request for The Ash Grove.  In case no one else
responded, the following is one of many verses and versions:

               Llwyn Onn
Ym mhalas llwyn onn gynt, fe drigai pen defig,
Efe oedd ysgweiar ac arglwydd y wlad;
Ac iddo un eneth a anwyd yn unig,
A hi 'nol yr hanes oedd aeres ei thad.
Aeth cariad i'w gweled, yn l^an a phur lencyn,
Ond codai'r ysgweiar yn araf ac erch,
I saethu'r bachgenyn, ond gwyrodd ei linyn,
A'i ergyd yu wyrgam i fynwes ei ferch.

               The Ash Grove
The ash grove how graceful, how plainly tis speaking,
The wind through it playing has language for me;
When over its branches the sunlight is breaking,
A host of kind faces are gazing on me.
The friends of my childhood again are before me,
Each step wakes a mem'ry, as freely I roam,
With soft whispers laden, its leaves rustle o'er me,
The ash grove, the ash grove, alone is my home.