Help for WELSH-L Archives

WELSH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Llwynmwyn
From: Iwan Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Jul 1995 09:16:55 +0000

> Can someone please tell me if Llwynmwyn is Welsh for Williams?  I am researching
>  my ancestry and have a reference to the "Llwynmwyn" families coming to Wisconsi
> n in 1847.  I don't know if its the name of a village, their last name, or?  (pe
> rhaps they named their farm???)  Thank you.
>
> Please forgive me if I have posted incorrectly here...I am new to this.
>
> Joanne

Joanne,

An approximate translation for Llwynmwyn would be :

Llwyn : Hedge ? (i.e. a hedge round the garden, not hedging your
bets)

Mwyn : Mellow

Therefore Llwynmwyn = Mellow Hedge

It may sound silly but it could well be a place name or a house name.
 The Welsh form of William is Gwilym, as I discovered whilst looking
through a book of names in a last desperate attempt to locate a
suitable name for my new son (he ended up with Owen, by the way).

Iwan.

 Iwan Roberts B.Sc. M.Sc.  +  * .o   o.* `.`. +.
 Technical Consultant   *  . ' ' |\^/|  `. * .  *
 MARI (N.I.) Ltd.                 \V/    Tel:   +44 1232 669500
 Bridgewood House, Newforge Lane, /_\    Fax:   +44 1232 669800
 Belfast BT9 5NW                 _/ \_   Email: [log in to unmask]