Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: Last Call: Hypertext Markup Language - 2.0 to Proposed Standard

Joe English <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Jul 95 14:35:04 EDT

"Christopher R. Maden" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Roy Fielding wrote:
> [...]
> > The correct definition for this feature is:
> [...]
> > <!ENTITY % linkExtraAttributes
> > "REL NAMES #IMPLIED
> [...]
>
> That's not quite right either. Production [40] of ISO 8879 allowes a
> name token list to be a list of names separated by SPACE, usually
> character 32. This excludes line breaks, tabs, and other whitespace.

But see also section 7.9.3 (pp. 331-332 in Goldfarb) which says:

    An _attribute value literal_ is interpreted as
    an _attribute value_ by replacing references within it,
    ignoring Ee and RS, and replacing an RE or SEPCHAR
    with a SPACE.
    [...]
    An attribute value other than _character data_ is
    tokenized by replacing a sequence of SPACE characters
    with a single SPACE character and ignoring leading or
    trailing SPACE characters.

It is my understanding that the cited production

    [40] name token list =
name token,
(SPACE,
name token)*

is applied to the interpreted attribute value, not the
original attribute value literal in the start-tag.

SGMLS appears to agree with this interpretation:

    trystero:joe% cat t.sgml
    <!doctype test [
    <!element test - O EMPTY>
    <!attlist test
a NAMES #REQUIRED

    ]>
    <test a="foo bar baz qux
    qwerty
asdf">
    trystero:joe% sgmls t.sgml
    AA TOKEN FOO BAR BAZ QUX QWERTY ASDF
    (TEST
    )TEST
    trystero:joe%

> I think CDATA might be a better choice, as it would allow more
> flexibility for casual authors.

Then the case-sensitivity issue rears its ugly head...

--Joe English