Tue, 25 Jul 95 16:11:18 EDT

   From: "Terry Allen" <[log in to unmask]>

| We have the ability to make the semantic distinction with THEAD; the
| remaining use of TH is for stub cells.
---

I'm not sure what you mean by a "stub cell". I have tables where I'm
using tabular layout, but the cells in any one column or row are not
homogeneous. In some places the "label" associated with a cell is above
it, in some cases it may be to the left. Typically, though, in large
parts of these tables there is exactly one value (rather than a row or
column) associated with a label (heading), so I don't want the
THEAD-implied semantic (the non-scrolling view intended to associate the
label with all of the values in the column), but I do want to indicate
that the item is a label, rather than a value, so the browser can style
it appropriately. It really is a semantic, rather than presentational,
distinction, though it may not be exactly the one the HTML3 authors
intended.

Semantically, I guess what I'd really like is to be able to associate a
particular label with a particular cell, where I am currently making the
association simply by juxtaposition. Perhaps the label should really be
an attribute of the cell, with THEAD setting the attribute's value for
all the cells in a column.

It may be that classing takes care of all this - I haven't picked up
exactly what classing allows, yet.

scott

--
scott preece
motorola/mcg urbana design center 1101 e. university, urbana, il 61801