AFRIK-IT July 1995

Re: IT, the media and drought alerts

David Lush - MISA <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Jul 1995 21:31:00 GMT+0100

Greetings.

>Would it possible for MISA to incoporate Eastern Africa too.

There are moves to form a similar organisation to MISA in Eastern Africa,
but they are still in the formative stage. There is also an organisation
called the Network for the Defence of Independent Media in Africa (NDIMA),
which is also base in Kenya and has an East African orientation.

I hear what another list member was saying about keeping politics out of
the discussion, and I agree in many respects; let's keep the discussion to
IT and its relevance to the continent. However, the point of my original
posting remains; to illustrate how IT is being applied. I am sure there are
many IT people and many media workers who feel their worlds are totally
separate. However, computerised communications are bringing those worlds
together; after all, both are involved in communicating. The more notice we
take of each other the better. We are all part of one, increasingly
interactive world.

For example, there is also discussion on the list on using IT in drought
resolution. Surely its feasible that meteorological information on the
Internet could be tapped into by journalists who could then interpret it
(with a little help from the meteorologists) and pass it on to their
audiences - which will include farmers. A while back I received an e-mail
inquiry from a drought early-warning programme based in Harare. I wrote
back suggesting co-operation; they could use our network to distribute
bulletins and information to the media (at present, it takes months for
their data to filter down to the media once it has been processed,
re-written, printed out and posted off to the media, by which time the
drought has already struck!). I heard nothing back, and unfortunately lost
the person's e-mail address.

Perhaps our list colleague from the FAO could give some imput on whether or
not it would be feasible to use an e-mail network of newspapers etc, such
as the MISANET, to get important but easily understandable information
about weather patterns etc to the media, and thus their audiences. Then
early-warning systems really could become early warning systems for
everyone. Or am I being too naive?

BEst wishes

David Lush
Media Institute of Southern Africa (MISA)
Private Bag 13386
Windhoek, Namibia
Tel. +264 61 232975, Fax. 248016
e-mail: [log in to unmask]