Subject: Re: women of celtic ireland
From: "Karen L. Sumpter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Jun 1995 12:51:50 +0800

> I am interested in the role of women in celtic Ireland.  In my readings
> women appear to be respected, and well treated.  Are there any writings
> about women of that time.
> Bevin

Another excellent work on the subject of the role of women in Celtic society
is Jean Markale's "Women of the Celts". (Published in French as "La Femme
Celte".)  The book includes sections on historical context and judicial frame-
work regarding women in celtic societies; chapters of theory about women in
social life, marriage, sexual liberation, and love; and an extensive section
regarding women as presented in Celtic mythology - and what information about
actual women can be derived from reviewing the mythology.

The book is not specific to Ireland, but concentrates on the Celtic societies
of the British isles.

Hope this helps!!

Karen Sumpter