Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Re: Irish flute sliding head joint

Johnson Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Jun 1995 09:54:48 +0200

Yo Andrew,

Sorry, but I still believe that with a well made D flute in tune with itself a
sliding head is not absolutely necessary. I don't want to nit pick but it is
possible to adjust one's embrouchure in order to play in tune even when playing
someone else's flute in order to compensate. If you have a sliding head joint
fine, make use of it, but I don't believe that a sliding head joint is an
absolute requirement for traditional Irish music. Uilleann piper Joe McKenna
told me that he slides and bends notes into tune when piping as conditions
demand. I do the same. With any type of music I believe the most important
ingredient is that the passion or soul comes through, not being spot on in tune
and whats more ... Hey, chill out Thomas flute maestro Johnson you're starting
to freak out

Peace

Thomas Johnson uilleann pipes/flute/00028