AFRIK-IT June 1995

LATEST ONLINE AFRICAN NEWS

mukiri wa githendu <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Jun 1995 14:56:04 CDT

KENYA Hyenas could dispose of bodies, Kenyan MP says

    NAIROBI, June 15 (Reuter) - A Kenyan member of parliament has
    proposed hyenas should be introduced to clean up hospitals with no
    mortuaries by eating the bodies of the unclaimed dead.

    Chris Kamuyu, member of parliament for the Nairobi suburb of
    Dagorretti, made the suggestion in parliament on Tuesday after a
    fellow legislator complained that his district hospital had no
    public cemetery for the burial of unclaimed bodies of patients.

    ``Is the ministry considering introducing hyenas to eat the bodies
    around hospitals without mortuaries?'' Kamuyu was quoted by the
    state-owned Kenya Times newspaper as asking.

    An assistant health minister ignored the question but said
    unclaimed bodies from Chuka district hospital were being buried on
    a nearby plot of land and were not being exhumed by dogs as
    claimed.

Transmitted:  95-06-15 11:19:34 PDT
KENYA Kenya ends import ban on maize, sugar, wheat, milk

    NAIROBI, June 15 (Reuter) - Kenya said on Thursday it was
    immediately lifting a temporary ban on imports of maize, sugar,
    wheat and milk.

    ``Conscious of our commitments under the World Trade Organisation,
    this import suspension is being lifted today,'' Finance Minister
    Musalia Mudavadi told parliament in his 1995/96 budget speech.

    The ban was imposed on April 5 this year and was due to run for six
    months.

    Mudavadi's announcement that the ban would be lifted nearly four
    months ahead of schedule followed criticism by foreign donors and
    the World Bank who said the ban contravened free trade and was
    evidence of Kenyan backtracking on economic liberalisation.

    Nairobi said originally that the ban was justified on the grounds
    that imports of the four commodities were subsidised by producer
    countries and undercutting Kenya's domestic agricultural output.

    Last month a government economic survey said sugar imports shot up
    four-fold in 1994 to reach 273,000 tonnes. Domestic sugar output
    fell to 304,000 tonnes in 1994 from 385,000 tonnes in 1993, the
    survey said.

Transmitted:  95-06-15 11:04:05 PDT
KENYA Kenya's 95/96 budget promises zero deficit, reform

    By Buchizya Mseteka

    NAIROBI, June 15 (Reuter) - Kenya unveiled its 1995/96 budget on
    Thursday promising zero deficit, a sound investment climate and a
    commitment to tough economic reforms backed by key Western donors.

    Finance Minister Musalia Mudavadi told parliament better tax
    collection would help more than triple the gross recurrent revenue
    to $5.9 billion in the year starting July 1.

    Gross recurrent expenditures would almost double to $5 billion,
    going mainly to schools, hospitals and roads, he said.

    ``We were able to reduce the budget deficit as a proportion of the
    gross domestic product from 6.4 percent in 1993/94 to 0.7 percent
    in 1994/95. I remain confident that we are now well on the way to
    eliminating the deficit in 1995/96 financial year,'' the minister
    said.

    Mudavadi announced new regulations easing restrictions on foreign
    investment in the Nairobi Stock Exchange (NSE) and said one third
    of 146 cash-strapped state corporations would be fully privatised
    by the end of 1995.

   The ceiling on foreign ownership of shares in any listed stock was
   being raised to 40 percent from 20 percent, and the limit on
   individual foreign investors' ownership of any stock would be raised
   to five percent from 2.5 per cent, he said.

    ``These changes will open up new sources of investment in Kenyan
    companies,'' Mudavadi told parliament.

    Foreign investors were invited into Kenya's bourse in January but
    many complained the access was limited.

    ``Although much has been done in recent years to encourage both
    domestic and foreign investment, a great deal still remains to be
    done. It is essential that we establish a track record of sound
    fiscal and monetary management,'' Mudavadi said.

    The minister said ``modalities have been worked out to repeal the
    exchange control act completely'' by the end of parliament's
    current session.

    Kenya's currency was made convertible last year, but some
    restrictions remained.

    Mudavadi said he was immediately lifting a temporary ban on imports
    of maize, sugar, wheat and milk.

    The ban -- condemned by donors as anti-reform -- was imposed on
    April 5 this year and was due to run for six months.

    Kenya said originally that the ban was justified because the four
    commodities were subsidised by producer countries and their import
    undercut Kenya's domestic producers.

    The minister said he would cut Kenya's 272,000-strong civil service
    by 20,000 jobs in the new financial year, and some 28,000 more
    would be laid off by mid 1997.

    Mudavadi said that Kenya's foreign debt remained at $5.5 billion,
    and the country was expected to pay $188 million in the current
    fiscal year.

Transmitted:  95-06-15 11:03:57 PDT
NIGERIA Nigeria licences its first satellite television

    LAGOS, June 15 (Reuter) - Nigeria's military government has
    approved a licence for the country's first satellite television
    station, officials of the National Broadcasting Commission said on
    Thursday.

    They said the licence had been granted to DAAR Communications
    Limited of Nigeria, a privately-owned broadcasting firm already
    operating Nigeria's first private radio station.

    ``This licence empowers DAAR Comunications to transmit television
    signals in the country and to the entire world,'' the broadcasting
    commission said in a statement on Wednesday.

    DAAR Communications launched Ray Power 100 FM Radio in Lagos last
    year and it gained instant popularity among youth.

    The company's executive chairman, Raymond Dokpesi, said Ray Power
    Television, as the station would be known, would be dedicated to
    redressing the lopsided global information flow.

    ``We shall by the grace of God beam Africa and African affairs to
    the rest of the world dispassionately,'' he said in an interview
    with the privately-owned THISDAY newspaper.

    ``We shall project Nigeria and strive to ensure fairness in every
    sphere of world information order through consistent pursuit of
    professionalism,'' Dokpesi said.

    Nigeria's government, which is under pressure at home and abroad to
    restore democratic rule, believes it gets unfairly negative foreign
    media coverage.

    Since a deregulation of the broadcasting sector two years ago,
    about 14 licences have been issued to private radio and television
    stations, several of which are already operating.

Transmitted:  95-06-15 11:19:30 PDT
SOUTHAFRICA S.Africa marks anniversary of township revolt

    By Juliette Saunders

    JOHANNESBURG, June 15 (Reuter) - South Africa's black leaders on
    Thursday marked the eve of the anniversary of black pupil revolts
    to white rule by urging young people to return to the classroom to
    build a new nation.

    The revolts which began on June 16, 1976, sparked school boycotts
    which deprived a generation of education as the slogan ``liberation
    before education'' was popularised by the then-banned African
    National Congress (ANC).

    Close to 700 blacks died in the first year of rioting that followed
    and class boycotts at schools still plague President Nelson
    Mandela's year-old government, which is trying to counter apartheid
    inequalities in black education.

    ``The gains from this struggle for a democratic education system
    have been obtained at an exorbitant human and social cost,''
    Sibusiso Bengu, appointed last year as Mandela's first education
    minister, said in a statement on Thursday.

    ``It is now, however, opportune for us to...dispel the chronic
    alienation of large sectors of our society from the educational
    process...and declare that a new era has dawned.

    ``If we put learning and teaching first we will go a long way in
    undoing the untold damage done by apartheid to the education of our
    children.''

    Hardline black youth organisations have saluted Mandela for
    declaring June 16 a national holiday this year, and have pledged to
    support the government's ``return to learning'' campaign.

    ``It is high time that the ANC realises that the toyi-toyi doesn't
    belong in schools,'' the Azanian Youth Organisation's Mpho Tsedu
    told Reuters, referring to the shambling anti-apartheid march.

    ``We want education back, for blacks in particular, because is it
    us who have been marginalised.''

    Mzi Felane, an Azanian Students' Convention (AZASCO) spokesman,
    said young people aligned to the Black Consciousness Movement (BCM)
    believed in the slogan ``educate to liberate,'' adding: ``We have
    been telling people this for a long time.''

    AZASCO President Phillip Kepadisa said he was concerned at the high
    levels of apathy and ignorance among black youth.

    ``They are all ominous pointers -- our education system must be
    regularised and overhauled drastically to counterpoise these
    effects of apartheid education.''

    Problems still surface daily at black schools. Many school
    buildings are in a sorry state: the windows broken, the roofs
    riddled with holes and toilets jammed. Books are scarce. Crime is
    rampant.

    ``The problems do run deep, and there's a lot to do. But we
    anticipated it because we're dealing with legacies of the past,''
    Lincoln Mali, an official in Bengu's ministry, told Reuters.

    ``What has changed, as we mark this first June 16 national holiday,
    is that now there are government structures which are prepared to
    deal with the problems,'' Mali said.

Transmitted:  95-06-15 11:19:33 PDT

---
mukiri w githendu