AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  June 1995

AFRIK-IT June 1995

Introduction

Amadou Lamine Ndiaye <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Jun 1995 14:20:42 BST

Hi Folks,

I subscribed to the list a week ago, and since then I have followed the
debate with great interest. After Clement's message, I think it's time to
introduce myself.

First of all I want to point out that as a Senegalese national, my colonial
language is French, so pls bear with me with my broken English.

I am working for Inter Press Service (IPS) (my colleague Peter da Costa has
already explained what is IPS and what it is doing), as Technical Chief for
Africa based in the Africa headquater in Harare, Zimbabwe. I got a B.Sc
degree in Computer sciences, Telecommunication and broadcasting techniques
and have done all my studies in Senegal. For more than four years, as IPS
Africa's technical chief, I have been involved in telematic issues in
Africa,especially related to News agencies. I have travelled to many
countries in Africa seeking solutions to our many telecommunication
problems, dealing with many PTTs and other telecommunication-related
services providers throughout the continent. And believe me it is a very
rich experience with both satisfactions and disappointments. I have set up
many computer networks and trained many technicians, particulary news agency
technicians, throughout the continent. I have worked as a consultant with
many U.N projects for Media development such as Unesco, WANAD (Weast African
News Agency Development) and Seanad (South East African News Agency
Development) projects.

I am glad to have joined this list and be able to share my experience with
other people. And looking forward to more technically-related debates.

Introduction done, I want to participate in the AID debate by asking a
question. What is happening to the old 2,3, and 486 machines no longer in
use in developed countries? What about donating those machines to developing
countries that are desperately in need of them?

Another point, I want to raise is telematic services tariffs. I remember
having raised this point at the Telematic symposium last April in Addis
Ababa. What really explains the big difference in price of telematic service
from one country to another? Example: in my country Senegal a subscription
to the telephone cost around us$200 (for a country like Senegal where the
net salary of a normal civil servant rarely exceeds US$200, a telephone is a
luxury), while in Zimbabwe it cost us$20. At the other end a 9600bps leased
line Harare-Jo'burg will cost from for the Zimbabwean side around us$2000
per month while on the South African side us$500. It's this big difference
that I can't accept. Many of our African PTTs are investing lot of money in
modernising their telematic equipment and passing on the cost to the
consumer by increasing the price of the service -- with the end result that
ordinary people can't just afford it. This raises another question? Aren't
we running too fast? Should we not be taking care of the needs of the
majority rather than those of a few high tech elites?.

All for now

Best Regards

AMADOU LAMINE NDIAYE <[log in to unmask]>
Technical Chief IPS
P.O.Box 6050
Tel:bus (263-4)790104 - 790105
    Home (263-4)790387