AFRIK-IT  June 1995

AFRIK-IT June 1995

Re: ONLINE FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES

Wed, 14 Jun 1995 21:45:43 CDT

>           Wa Githendu,
>
>           I am interested to know if there is any funding out there for
>           aspiring writers, history students or people who are interested
>           in African studies?
>
>           Thanks for any info you can get a hold of.
>
>           Maggie Kiromo.

REPLY:
Sorry I could not reply in time due to pressure of work. Here are a few
grants in the area you have requested. If I could be of futher assistance,
please let me know. Regards.

AFRO-AMERICAN AND AFRICAN STUDIES PRE-DOCTORAL (DISSERTATION)
FELLOWSHIP

Address:  Carter G. Woodson Institute for Afro-American and African
Studies, Attn: Associate Director for Research, University of Virginia,
1512 Jefferson Park Avenue, Charlottesville, VA 22903

Telephone:  (804) 924-3109

Purpose:  To support research in those disciplines of the humanities
and social sciences concerned with the fields of Afro-American and
African studies.

Eligibility:  Applicants for the pre-doctoral fellowship must have
completed all requirements for the Ph.D. in Afro-American or African
studies except for the dissertation prior to August of the fellowship
year. For the purposes of this competition, Afro-American and African
studies are considered to cover Africa, Africans, and people of African
descent in North, Central, and South America, and the Caribbean, past
and present. Applications must include a description of a research
project that would be pursued during the fellowship year.

Financial Data:  The stipend is $12,500 per year.

Duration:  2 years; nonrenewable.

Limitations:  Affiliates of the University of Virginia may not apply.
Fellows must be in residence at the University of Virginia for the
duration of the award period. They are expected to contribute to the
intellectual life of the university.

Number Awarded:  3 each year.

Deadline Date:  December of each year.

Update Tip:  To update your search for funding, check RSP Funding Focus
on an ongoing basis. Hundreds of new programs are added to the database
every month.

Search Tip:  When doing a search for funding in a specific subject
area, do not overlook the hundreds of funding opportunities that are
general in nature (available to fund activities in any subject area).
You can locate these programs by clicking on the Find button and
entering the phrase "general programs".

Residency Requirements:  Africa; Caribbean; Central America; South
America; United States

Tenability Locations:  Charlottesville, Virginia

Subject Coverage:  Afro-American studies; Humanities; Social sciences

Copyright, 1995, Reference Service Press

Transmitted:  95-06-02 13:33:53 PDT

GRANTS FOR WOMEN IN THE ARTS

Address:  Kentucky Foundation for Women, Inc., Heyburn Building, 332
West Broadway, Suite 1215, Louisville, KY 40202

Telephone:  (502) 562-0045

Purpose:  To support women in the arts and humanities in Kentucky (and
contiguous states).

Eligibility:  Eligible to apply for these funds are women artists,
writers. musicians, or filmmakers who reside in Kentucky or the
surrounding states (Ohio, West Virginia, and Tennessee). Occasionally,
grants are also made to groups working for women in the arts. Proposals
most focus on a feminist, not feminine, consciousness.

Financial Data:  Up to $10,000 for grants to individual women; up to
$20,000 for grants to groups. Funds may not be used for the
reimbursement of past expenses or for tuition or stipends.

Duration:  Up to 1 year.

Special Features:  The foundation was established in 1985. While this
is not a scholarship program, occasionally funds may be used to support
schooling (e.g., working on a Ph.D. dissertation).

Number Awarded:  Varies; generally, up to 50 each year.

Deadline Date:  In odd-numbered years, proposals are considered for
visual arts (painting, sculpture, architecture, puppetry, crafts,
photographs, exhibits) and performance arts (dance, theater, and
music). In even-numbered years, proposals are considered from writers,
feminist scholars, oral historians, and playwrights. In each year, the
deadline for applications is the end of September.

Update Tip:  To update your search for funding, check RSP Funding Focus
on an ongoing basis. Hundreds of new programs are added to the database
every month.

Search Tip:  When doing a search for funding in a specific subject
area, do not overlook the hundreds of funding opportunities that are
general in nature (available to fund activities in any subject area).
You can locate these programs by clicking on the Find button and
entering the phrase "general programs".

Residency Requirements:  Kentucky; Ohio; Tennessee; West Virginia

Tenability Locations:  Kentucky; Ohio; Tennessee; West Virginia

Subject Coverage:  Architecture; Art; Arts and crafts; Dance;
Filmmaking; Fine arts; Humanities; Music; Music; Photography; Plays;
Sculpture; Writers and writing

Copyright, 1995, Reference Service Press

Transmitted:  95-06-02 13:34:23 PDT

THEODORA BOSANQUET BURSARY FUND

Address:  Theodora Bosanquet Bursary, c/o British Federation of Women
Graduates Charitable Foundation, 28 Great James Street, London WC1,
England

Purpose:  To provide room and board at a hall of residence for women
who want to come to London to do research in English literature or
history.

Eligibility:  Women undergraduate or postgraduate students from any
country who require the use of reference libraries or other resources
in London to do research in English literature or history are eligible
to apply.

Financial Data:  The bursary provides room and board (except lunch on
Monday through Friday) at a hall of residence in London.

Duration:  4 weeks, from July to September.

Special Features:  The bursary was established in memory of Theodora
Bosanquet, a writer, administrator, and member of the British
Federation and International Federation of University Women.

Limitations:  Because of the loss of the lease of Crosby Hall in
London, no bursary will be awarded in 1995.

Number Awarded:  1 or 2 each year.

Deadline Date:  November of each year.

Update Tip:  To update your search for funding, check RSP Funding Focus
on an ongoing basis. Hundreds of new programs are added to the database
every month.

Search Tip:  When doing a search for funding in a specific subject
area, do not overlook the hundreds of funding opportunities that are
general in nature (available to fund activities in any subject area).
You can locate these programs by clicking on the Find button and
entering the phrase "general programs".

Residency Requirements:  Foreign countries; United States

Tenability Locations:  England

Subject Coverage:  History, English; Literature, English

Copyright, 1995, Reference Service Press

Transmitted:  95-06-02 13:34:53 PDT

---
mukiri w githendu