AFRIK-IT June 1995

access to internet

Lishan Adam <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Jun 1995 18:57:44 +0000

Matthew Writes:

>I am interested helping out 3rd world doctors by giving them access to
>medical resources on the Internet.

A good step.

There have been a lot of efforts worldwide in
networking doctors, but not using linux box.  Discuss with satelLife for
<[log in to unmask]> or <[log in to unmask]> to know why they did
not select linux box for third world doctos connectivity. I think the main
reason is that most doctors can not afford even the slightest email link due
to their situation. (A one page fax can eat up the whole salary of a third
world doctor). Then they have problems of telecommunications infrastructure.
Then they do not have computers, then they have not heared of modems and WWW.
What are you going to do with them? How can you approach this mess?

of course there are rich doctors who can afford.
Studies indicate that there are urgent needs for information south to south.

>To setup Linux boxes in third world hopitals
again most hospitals do not have asprins. They may ask can we get few "malaria
tablets" or connection?

>a) to provide ruimentary computing facilities (via terminals),
>databases, word processing, etc,

here you may need to rely on used equipment for donation to equip them first.

>b) Access to the outside world via E-mail, accessing mailing lists
>that can be read by various experts so that solutions can be quickly found.
PGP
>solutionby enabling the use of dial up phone connections at times when the
>are low.  A private news network could also be established.

here both training and costs are important. You need to change not only the
attitude but also habits. It needs considerable effort and strategy.

>or c) Full access.  WWW, gopher to access medical databases/libraries
>internet.  An IRC net may also be possible for medical disscussions.

This requires good telecom infrastructure or enough budget.
Most efforts in Africa do not rely on a linux box for users. They rather focus
on infrastructure building to make local linux experts available. They form a
user base to justify costs for connection to TCP/IP. Training is the focus
since finding someone to help with a modem configuration is still a problem.
Connections are based on Fido or uucp protocls. Projects of this nature
include:
CABECA, RIO/ORSTOM and RINAF (some others are coming up).

I suggest you approach connecting third world doctors in a modular and pilot
basis. If one succeeds you move on the other. There are encouraging signs
anyway:-)

regards.

Lishan

Lishan Adam, Coodinator CABECA                          Sysop PADISnet
P.O.Box 3001                                            P.O.Box 5834
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia                                   New York, NY 10163
Tel: +251 1 511167                                      Fax: (212) 963 4957
Fax: +251 1 517200