Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

Subject: Re: ONLINE AFRICAN NEWS
From: Margaret Kiromo OBPIO 82038 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Jun 1995 15:24:00 -0500

RWANDA Zambian U.N. troops nominated for Rwanda medals

    ``These countless acts of valour and devotion to duty shown by the
    Zambian platoon soldiers in the presence of automatic weapons fire
    and machete attacks is worthy of recognition by the award of the
    Zambian equivalent of the Canadian medal of military valour,''
    Toussignant said.

    The Zambian troops did not fire a shot during the violence.

        What a fantastic thing to do, to recognize that violence
        is not always the answer to violence! It must be terrifying
        to have to keep your head on, while all hell is breaking loose
        around you, especially when you have a gun in your hands.

        Great to hear a story focusing on the more human and noble side
        of African soldiers. Maybe there is a glimmer of hope for us
        after all, if we can find a way to connect with those gentler
        sides of our humanity, even when we have been trained to be lean
        mean, murder machines!

        Kiromo.