AFRIK-IT June 1995

Positive & Negative IMPACTS of Aid

Clement Dzidonu <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Jun 1995 23:20:30 +0000

Dear AFRIK-IT Colleagues,

A point made by Maurice O' Reilly of Dundalk,Ireland in his introduction is
worth noting. He wrote:

.....I have been reading AFRIK-IT with great interest. In fact it is my
first time to join a "list" and I am fascinated by the dynamic of this
particular use of the INTERNET....

...I have found the discussion on Aid & IT particularily interesting.
It seems to me that the key word here is IMPACT. What impact do the
policies and practices which accompany aid (in for example the IT
sector) have? This includes the questions of valuing local
expertise, of being sensitive to how and where agendas are set,
localisation, sustainability etc.....

My contribution:...

Yes Maurice, you are right, like most things in life, we need to look at
its positive and negative IMPACTS. I am sure AID (in kind and/or in cash)
do have its positive and negative impacts on Africa IT. If one care to take
a blank sheet of paper, draw a straight line down the middle and then list
the positive IMPACTS of Aid on AFRICA IT on the right and the negative
impacts on the left, I am sure they will come out with a long list on each
side. Perhaps some may want to try out this exercise...Let us know what you
come out with.... will be interesting!!!

BTW:Just noticed a number of new subscribers to AFRIK-IT from Finland in
the North to South Africa in the South, from Hawaii in the West to Japan in
the East...welcome to the Africa IT party...Perhaps some of you may
introduce yourself and throw some fresh light on what we've been talking
about. I am sure some of you have views on the matter. Lets hear from you.

Best rgds,

Clement