AFRIK-IT June 1995

Re: Another Introduction

Paulo Pizarro <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Jun 1995 12:29:20 +0000

 > From: [log in to unmask]
 > Re: [log in to unmask] letter and Paulo Pizarro's response:

 > In whose interest is it that Africa's information
 > infrastructure *not* be updated, and up to par with the rest
 > of the world?

 > I understand its immediate benefits, but in whose interest is
 > Mr. Lumumbah's proposal for the long term?

    I do not want to respond in behalf of Mr Lumumba but I would like to
stress some issues:
    1 - Most African countries have a very old and degraded communication
infrastruture.
    2 - Most African countries have a communication infrastruture not
widespread to the whole country.
    3 - Most African countries have problems with mains power production and
distribution (high power fluctuations and no mains power in rural areas)
    4 - Most African countries do not have immediate finantial resourses to
recuperate and develop their communication infrastruture in a short term.

    It is true that we want to be updated and up to par with the rest of the
world but if we can not have Caviar, why not have some sardine?
    In the mean while we could be recuperating and developing the
communication infrastruture and preparing it for the "Caviar".

    I am looking forward to hear some more ideas.

    Paulo

    On Jun 15, 15:29, [log in to unmask] wrote:
 >> My name is Derrick Lumumba and I am a Cameroonian living in
 >> Los Angeles, California and your posting caught my
 >> attention. My areas of expertise are Macintosh and PC
 >> communications, Graphic Design & Publishing, Electronic
 >> Prepress, Multimedia educational and entertainment
 >> programming.

 >> I am aware that there's a current change taking place here
 >> in the US with fiber optics networks replacing existing data
 >> transmission systems. I would like to know what you think
 >> about upgrading African telecommunications using older but
 >> fully electrical (electronic? I'm not sure which) equipment
 >> that is being replaced here. I'm sure AT&T for example
 >> would have some of this kind of equipment stored and unused
 >> that they could either sell at low prices or would donate
 >> them to us and get a tax deduction for it. They also provide
 >> installation and maintainance training.

 >> Is this a simplistic idea on my part, or could I possibly be
 >> of more help in pursuing this matter?

 > Sorry about the late response, but I was out of Luanda
 > for some days and I did not have telephone communication at
 > all where I was. I really belive that your idea is very
 > good, however there is an important point that I would like to
 > be clear. Are they only replacing the data transmition part of
 > PBX's or the whole telephone system including the telephone
 > switching part? If you can get some more information about
 > that it would be great. If AT & T has really some of this
 > equiment stored and could donnate to the African Countries,
 > then we must coordinate how this could be donne. I think the
 > donnor or other entity should follow the process to ensure
 > that the equipment is really installed and working properly
 > and not thrown away waiting for instalation engineers or so.

 > Best,

 > Paulo

 > -!- MsgedSq 2.2c(b)
 > ! Origin: (Harry_Allen)