Subject: Re: Imperialism in the S/w
From: Deborah McMillion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 May 1995 10:55:16 -0400

Sorry, my "friends" in the southwest are not griping about English or what
all imperialism.  The past few years we have been getting literally screamed
at for Columbus, for Coronado, for Cortez.  Especially Cortez.  I had a woman
scream in my face because of the (explicatives deleted) Spaniards raped and
pillage her people.  I asked if she was also of Spanish descent and she said
"well, of course."  I asked if she preferred to speak Spanish "well, of
course, it's the language of My people!--not English"  Then why am I being
yelled at for the Spanish--I'm not.  She had no explanation except the raping
and pillaging.  I said what about the Aztecs wiping out the Toltecs?  Oh,no
that was okay, at least it was the same kind of people!  I said I doubt if
that makes much difference to the people getting killed.  No, that's okay,
it's just my neighbor!  Since it is an emotionally charged issue that people
took personally there could be no rational conversation.  And as long as
people do take it personally you will get such inconsistencies.

Exactly, the point is what now.  How can we mend walls and move on? I
certainly don't believe that just because other people did it it's okay.  We
can discuss things from a scholarly aspect and if I disagree it would be nice
if things didn't get personal.  As someone pointed out, not everything you
read in books are correct and there are sides to issues we'll never guess not
having lived then.  What I was trying to say is that when you begin the long
journey of tracing ancestors you might find yourself unpleasantly full of the
very races you'd rather not be.  (for whatever reason).  Or that you and this
"race" sprang from a common one.  The waves of incoming people mixing
constantly whether through simple immigration or conquering happened to
everyone and the tangled tapestries of our backgrounds make us closer than
most of us would like to admit.  Personally, I think that's great.  We aren't
separate species or eventually the dominant one would be all that's left?

Deborah McMillion