Subject: Re: more cultural imperialism
From: Micheal Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 May 1995 14:29:24 +0000

Deborah McMillion --

>am not of Spanish descent--they are).  For me, being of English and Scottish
>descent, to yell at one half of myself for the transgressions of the other is
>self defeating.  In this case, since the Aztecs, the Toltecs, the Mayans all
>conquered and in many cases wiped out the previous populations I have to
>raise my hand and say wait!  The Assyrians swept down on the so and so, the
>Greeks on another, the Romans on another, it's a part of the moving
>populations of mankind.  Once tribes  in southern Europe used to build their
>settlements by rivers. Suddenly they were built on hills.  Not as convenient
>but safer.  All you have to do is get those Penguin books maps of the world
>history and it's movements and changes to even begin to take in the
>monumental task of who your ancestors are.  Personally, I love different

  Yes, of course there have been conflicts.  The question is:
what now?  If minority cultures have been wiped out in the
past, and you say, "Well, that's life", then why don't they
have the right and come and wipe you out?
  However, life was not all about conquest and control and
subjugation.  Before Europeans arrived there were more
unique languages in California alone than there were in the
whole of Western Europe.  This, and many other examples like
it, show that in some cultures self-reliance, small scale
organisation and cultural tolerance were accepted and
nourished.  And this is precisely the kind of attitude, I
believe, to build a sustainable, humane society.
  Don't judge human nature, or excuse the sins of the
history of your culture, based on the worst examples available
from Imperial history.

msn