Subject: Re: Fiona
From: Erich Schraer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 May 1995 17:32:49 -0500

Fiona Maclachlan wrote:

    Can anyone provide the origin of the name "Fiona"?  I have a
    colleague who insists that it is a gaelic name but my impression was
    that it was Scots but not gaelic.

The name Fiona was probably invented in the 19th century as a
feminisation of the Irish name Fionn.  Fionn comes from Old Irish Finn
or Find (meaning "white, fair") which was used as both a masculine and a
feminine name.  The name also occurs in several compound names of both
sexes.  A couple of feminine ones are Fionnghuala and Findchoem (modern
Fionnchaoimh).  Fiona could conceivably be a hypocoristic of one of
these.  Another possibility is from the name Lasairfhi/ona which means
"flame of wine".  The second part unaspirated whould be Fi/ona meaning
"of wine".
                                --Erich
 | Erich Schraer                            Division of Biostatistics |
 | Phone: (314)362-3681          Washington University Medical School |
 | Fax: (314)362-2693                    660 S. Euclid Ave., Box 8067 |
 | Email: [log in to unmask]                 St. Louis, MO  63110 |