Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: keyword tag?
From: "Dave Raggett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 May 95 10:05:22 EDT

> [Steven Fought:]

> | Personally, I would like to be able to "type" parts of my documents.  A
> | trivial example would be:
> |
> | <TYPE name="location/city">Hope</TYPE>

HTML3 includes a generic CLASS attribute for this kind of thing.
Rather than continually changing the spec to add new tags - a bottomless
pit, you subclass existing HTML tags to make the distinctions you need
e.g. your example could be handled as:

        <dfn class="">Hope</dfn>

Subclassing HTML tags in this way allows you to carry on using your
current Web browser without having to take the hit on interoperability
from switching to a custom DTD plus downloading the DTD and style sheet.

-- Dave Raggett <[log in to unmask]> url =
   Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Filton Road, | tel: +44 117 922 8046
   Bristol BS12 6QZ, United Kingdom           | fax: +44 117 922 8924