Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: HTML Link types - user hint? or hardwired internal browser call ?
From: Terry Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 May 95 14:38:15 EDT

Craig:
| I suggest that the source of our disagreement is that I see the
| REL values as contextual hints to the user, whereas you seem to
| see them as specific instructions to the browser, or as both.

As neither.  As semantic labelling for related sets of docs.

| I am wary of 'specific instructions to the browser' that imply complex
| navigation (i.e. beyond 'goto'), and do not see a need to standardize
| presentation-only behavior - nor does Murray, I think, as he repeatedly
| (and effectively) argues to allow creativity by browser developers.

No instructions to the browser, no presentation-only behavior (whatever
that means).  Just labelling.

--
Terry Allen  ([log in to unmask])   O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
Editor, Digital Media Group    101 Morris St.

A Davenport Group sponsor.  For information on the Davenport
  Group see ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/davenport/README.html
	or  http://www.ora.com/davenport/README.html