Subject: Re: DALRIADA-L
From: "Christine M. Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 May 1995 13:29:42 -0400

My apologies to everyone, but for some reason I cannot seem to get this
through the back channels.

Date:     Thu, 18 May 1995 15:20 GMT
From:     [log in to unmask]
To:       [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Dalriada

This is the information I have, and it worked for me.

Good luck.

Christine Walker

  **GENERAL INFORMATION**

  The aims of dalriada-l are to encourage discussion about and promote
  a greater awareness of the cultural heritage of Gaelic Ireland, and the
  Highlands & Islands of Scotland. Dalriada was the name of the ancient
  kingdom which stretched from the northern lands of Ulster and along the
  west coast of Scotland as far as Oban, encompassing most of the islands
  that make up the Inner Hebrides.

  Relevant topics for discussion include:

  history and pre-history, archaeological sites,
  folklore and folktales
  Celtic law and custom, calendar festivals
  Celtic languages - incl. sayings, proverbs, place names, etc.
  songs, music - both ancient and modern
  ancient sagas and early Gaelic literature, the Bardic inheritance
  & modern literature/poetry of the Gaelic Fringe
  Celtic philosophy, religious belief - ancient & modern
  clan & tribal genealogy
  news & discussion of current events relevant to the culture and heritage -
  this could include discussion of political events, but lengthy heated
  political debate that gets 'out of hand' will not be tolerated.

  Messages can be posted in any (preferably European) language, though
  messages in Gaidhlig, Gaeilge, Scots or English are preferred, these
  being the languages in current use in these areas. We particularly
  welcome messages in Gaidhlig/Gaeilge, with or without translation, and
  our policy is one of 'positive discrimination' towards the minority
  Celtic languages in this respect.

  **CONDUCT**

  We expect all messages to be courteous and coherent. You may disagree
  with other people's views but personal attacks on other subscribers are
  absolutely prohibited. You will receive one warning only from the
  moderator, and anyone persisting in such behaviour will find their access
  to the list thereafter denied.

  ** TECHNICALITIES **

  To subscribe to the list send an email as follows:
  to: [log in to unmask]
  message: SUBSCRIBE DALRIADA-L

  To sign off from the list, send an email as follows:
  to: [log in to unmask]
  message: UNSUBSCRIBE DALRIADA-L

  **IMPORTANT** Please note - do not add either your name or email address
  after this message. Listserv will read the user email address in the
  "from" field to post mail from the list back to you.

  Only subscribers are permitted to post messages to the list. To send a
  message to the list, email as follows:

  It is important that you enter a keyword/s in the subject header of any
  message posted to either listserv or dalriada-l. Do not leave the subject
  header blank as listserv will skip over such messages.
  If in doubt or you need help, you can send an email to one of the
  listowners:

  **REPLYING TO POSTS**

  When replying to posts, please try to quote only the relevant parts of
  or some such comment at the end!

  **FILE ATTACHMENTS**

  As the society is funded entirely from membership and voluntary donations,
  for the sake of our phone bill we would request that you do not send
  lengthy file attachments to the list. Send them by private email to
  individuals instead.

  **DALRIADA FILES**

  Dalriada-l has its 'base' at the society's bulletin board, which has an
  extensive database of archive files. Many of these files are available to
  society members only, however some are also available free to list members,
  of which we will post details from time to time.

  Well, that's it for now. If you have any suggestions to make regarding any
  of the above, let us know. We look forward to seeing you on dalriada-l!

  Cuiridh sinn failte oirbh!