Subject: Re: Famine and Fishing
From: Michael M T Wean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 May 1995 16:07:37 -1000

On Wed, 3 May 1995, CONRAD BLADEY wrote:

> Sorry not to have published my extensive resume concerning research
> into the potato famine but I have not written it out yet.
>
> I have invested substantial time in the matter in recent months.
>
> I must however re-state the conclusions of many works now read
> that the Irish approach to 19th century industrialism was indeed
> unique and that it was this cultural approach which contributed to
> their inability to do better than they did-even with the English
> dominance-historians describe an in-ability to get along between
> groups of investors (irish) and the absence of "social-cultural"
> safety nets which were employed by peoples in places like Denmark
> to help weather the famine when it came to them.
>
> I have seen studies which describe this tendancy-especially seen
> in the fishing industry-not to pool resources -as a celtic cultural
> trait.

        Gad, I don't even know where to start with you...before you publish,
you would do well to do a bit of research on the social and cultural
dynamics of colonialism.  European colonization of North America all but
destroyed Native American cultures, and those who remain STILL haven't
responded well to the American version of nineteenth century
industrialization...nor have the Hawai'ians here where I am so lucky to
live: they are currently responding to a century of ENFORCED
Westernization by telling the Euro-American world (and I put this kindly)
to  piss off.

Regardless of the myriad, complex interrelations of social forces
involved in the the relative success of the Irish under British rule,
COLONIZATION ALWAYS INVOLVES THE THEFT OF LAND AND RESOURCES, THE
DESTRUCTION OF CULTURE AND THE DEATH AND DEMORALIZATION OF THOSE COLONIZED!
So what if Celtic culture played a part in problems of integration?
That's the the least one can expect from a culture struggling to survive.
It was the Britain caused the crises, and Britain who is to blame.

Don't come to Hawai'i.  Your not welcome on THIS Island.