Re: Famine and Fishing

Andrew Rouse <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Thu, 4 May 1995 13:48:12 MET-1

Conrad wrote,

COLONIZATION ALWAYS INVOLVES THE THEFT OF LAND AND RESOURCES, THE
DESTRUCTION OF CULTURE AND THE DEATH AND DEMORALIZATION OF THOSE COLONIZED!

Colonization certainly involves the theft of land and resources,
plays a part in death and demoralization, but in many cases it
appears to STRENGTHEN rather than DESTROY culture. It all depends on
the benefits\harm done in the process of colonization.

The mere fact that one country is capable of muscling in on another
shows some degree of weakness (I think that's the wrong word) in the
colonized aboriginals. It may be a military inability to ward off the
invaders, but that, while explaining conquest, does not necessarily
explain successful colonization.

To look at the complex example of commercial colonization - our city
in Hungary has just received its first MacDonalds, although petitions
and hand-outs and so on attempted to prevent its appearance. The
usual blurb was about Americanization destroying national identity.
The feedback since MacDonalds' opening has been that the site is
certainly a lot more pleasing than when occupied by the previous,
state department store. This brings us to a few questions:

1) Will MacDonalds destroy whatever identity a non-MacDonalds society
has?
2) Is this necesarily a bad thing?
3) Is it inevitable? National, or if we prefer ethnic identities have
been lost and formed since "time began". The English lament being
Americanized, the Irish lament being Anglicized...but the mere
existence of CELTIC-L would seem to suggest that "ization" is not
such a smooth or short-term process.

Cheers,

Andy

Andrew C Rouse