AFRIK-IT May 1995

Exploitation of 'our' continent.

Alan Collins <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 May 1995 09:23:05 +0200

On Tue, 30 May 1995,   W H Ashley said:

A hundred years ago the history of Africa was written with the technology
of the Machine Gun, We were not up to speed and consequently found
our Continent in the control (physically and economically) of others.
<<

I am amused at the use of the word 'our' by people who have, more often
that not, never set foot on the African continent.  I hasten to add that I do
not think this is wrong or presumptuous - merely amusing.  The implication
is usually that the 'our' excludes Caucasians.  Recent discoveries indicate
that Homo Sapiens originated in southern Africa.  In other words, for all of
humanity, Africa is 'our' continent so 'the control (physically and
economically)' can never have been had by 'others'.

Since Africa, therefore, belongs to us all, I hope that we will see an end to
the exploitation of Africa by IT professionals from Europe and the USA.
These professionals come here for a limited time, charge enormous rates,
fail to do any kind of skills transfer and then leave.  The Africans are then
in no position to maintain the product.  Once the product fails, there are
only two options: pay through the neck to get the USA or European
experts to do the necessary maintenance or let the product fall into disuse.
Either way, its big money down the sewer.

Alan.

(PS. Don't get all hot under the collar. The above message was written
with tongue firmly in cheek.)