AFRIK-IT May 1995

Re: What is IRLEARN.UCD.IE.

Niall O'Reilly <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 May 1995 18:19:48 +0100

> From [log in to unmask] Tue May 30 13:09:49 1995
>
> While on the subject of introductions, would someone please introduce
> IRLEARN.UCD.IE?  Clement?
>
> Thanks, Alan.

OK, here goes:

        IE      Top-level domain name for Ireland (derived from ISO 3166)

        UCD     University College Dublin
                If you can, see URL: http://www.ucd.ie/

        IRLEARN IBM 4381 host at UCD running VM
                So called because it is the Irish (car-plate: IRL) 'national
                node' for the global NJE network known as BITNET.  The
                'European' part of BITNET was known as EARN, and was
                co-ordinated by the EARN organisation, which recently merged
                with RARE to become TERENA.  'European' is to some extent
                a misnomer, as countries in West and North Africa, Near and
                Middle East have been EARN members.

On IRLEARN, we use the mailing-list management software LISTSERV, developed by
Eric Thomas and provided by L-Soft International, Inc.

University College Dublin is the largest university institution in Ireland,
and is a constituent college of the National University.  This (NUI) also has
colleges in Cork and Galway, and a number of other 'recognised' and/or
'constituent' colleges.  Some of the politics is beyond what I bother to
understand, and probably not very interesting to any of you.

UCD Computing Services offers computing and data communications services
to the college community using a variety of operating systems (NetWare, Unix,
VMS, VM) and with Ethernet LAN's on several campuses in and around Dublin.
The System Management Group has the task of keeping all that working.

Another group in UCD Computing Services runs the HEAnet Operations Centre
under contract to the Higher Education Authority, the umbrella body for
the Irish universities.  This group also offers external consultancy and
training.

Niall O'Reilly

Group Leader, System Management
University College Dublin Computing Services

PS: Those two lines are my personal introduction 8-)