Subject: Re: Ciad Mile Failte
From: "dk.seattle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Apr 1995 09:24:20 -0700

On Thu, 23 Mar 1995, Stuart Pollock wrote:

> >Hey there in Halifax.  Someone else posted Ciad Mille Failte in what seem'd
> >an attempt to correct you, but I have also seen Cead Mile Failte - what gives?
>
> I have no idea how to pronounce the first two word, but I know that the last
> word is pronounced ``fal-cha''. Can someone help me out here, please?

In Irish Gaelic: Ce/ad Mi/le Fa/ilte (roughly, KAYD MEE-luh FAWL-chuh)

In Scottish Gaelic, the traditional spelling is Ceud Mi\le Fa\ilte.
Scots Gaelic uses grave accent marks (\) instead of acute (/).  "Ceud" is
pronounced "KAYT".  However, this long vowel (AY) is commonly "broken" in
many dialects of Scots Gaelic and is instead pronounced EE-uh.  In other
words, many people pronounce "ceud" as KEE-uht.  To reflect this
pronunciation, the word is sometimes spelled "ciad" instead of "ceud".
Either is correct.

         Donncha                *  Bi/odh do chuid fi/rici/ ceart agat
      (Dennis King)             *  Agus tabhair aire do do ghnaithe.
<[log in to unmask]>      *                -Beairtle