Subject: Re: CELTIC-L Digest - 23 Apr ...
From: Maryn Mckenna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Apr 1995 23:54:46 -0400

scri/obh Deborah McMillion:

{{ There is another folk song with the Selkie  theme as well, I've
 heard it done on older albums of Joan Baez and Judy Collins,
 called simply The Selkie ("I am a man, upon the land, I am a
 Selkie on the sea, And little know I my bairn's father, Far less the
 land that he dwells in.").}}

that song (collected i *think* by Alan Lomax) is a very interesting gloss on
the selkie legend; it's one of the few times when the selkie is a man and the
human lover a woman. most of the time, as in Roan Inish (which came from a
book called "The Secret of Ron Mor Skerry"), it's the human who's male.

fyi, not that it matters, the song goes: (v.1) "An earthly nurse sits and
sings/bye low she sings my  lily wean/ah little ken i my bairn's father/far
less the land that he dwells in"; v.3 "i am a man upon the land/i am a silkie
 on the sea/and when i'm far and far frae land/my home it is in Sule
Skerrie."

this moment of hopeless pedantry brought to you by the letter M and the
number 6. we now return  you to your regularly scheduled Celtic programming.

maryn mck.