Subject: Re: Esus/Jesus confusion. . .
From: Colin Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 20 Apr 1995 21:25:17 LCL

>I receiv'd from the Encyclopedia Britannica a paper on Celtic/Gaulish
>gods.  That is where I first heard of a god call'd Esus who was associated
>with people hanging on trees, and they mention'd that he might have some
>associations with Christianity's Jesus.  Anyone know of historical opinions
>past and present on this idea?
Checking a couple of references found the following info.
Esus is one of the gods mentioned by the Roman author Lucan as
being worshipped by means of human sacrifice. He was identified by
him with Mars.
 However there are only one or two inscriptions mentioning Esus,
which suggests he was a local or minor deity.
 One theory is that the name Esus is derived from a Celtic root
meaning 'lord'.

C.