Question about dashes

"J%org Knappen, Mainz" <[log in to unmask]>

TYPO-L Discussion of Typography, Type and Typographic Design" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 23 Apr 1995 00:34:36 +0100

I have a question about the preferable lengths of dashes in a font.

Given are the following dash-like characters, their width measured and
arbitray units u:

hyphen 6u
en-dash 9u
em-dash 18u

If I want to add one more dash, between the en-dash and the em-dash, which
width should it have? Should I insert more then one dash in that range,
and if yes, for which purpose and how wide should they be?

--J"org Knappen