Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Interpretation of RE

[log in to unmask] (Arthur van Hoff)

Mon, 10 Apr 95 13:29:06 EDT

Hi,

I'm trying to find out the correct interpretation of RE (newline) and
white space in html documents. According to the html spec you are
supposed to ignore the first and the last RE within the content of an
element. If that is true, what is the correct interpretation of RE
iside a PRE content? For example:

<pre>
This is <b>
bold
</b> text.
</pre>

Should this be interpreted as:

<pre>
This is <b>bold</b> text.
</pre>

If so, why are all the browsers doing it wrong? I'm trying to implement
an HTML3 compliant parser. Could someone point me to more information
on the interpretation of white space in html documents?

Have fun,

Arthur van Hoff ([log in to unmask])
http://java.sun.com/people/avh/
Sun Microsystems Inc, M/S UPAL02-301,
100 Hamilton Avenue, Palo Alto CA 94301, USA
Tel: +1 415 473 7242, Fax: +1 415 473 7104