Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Coleman Concert
From: David James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Feb 1995 17:13:01 -0500

I'll post this again since it didn't bounce back to my mail. Are we
quiet today or has the "drop-out" bug finally hit my computing corner
of the world? No messages from Irtrad? I DON'T BELIEVE IT! Anyway,
here goes. Needless to say, but I don't have any financial stock in
the concerts, except I'll be doing sound for them in Chicago,
Cleveland and Detroit, and I hope they make a pile of money. Any
Irtradders come see me if you come to the concert(s). I'll be behind
the mixing board. Fretting, no doubt.

Concert Tour to benefit Coleman Heritage Center, Gorteen, Co. Sligo,
Ireland

 Persons:
Chicago - Killarney Castle, 103rd and Roberts Road, Friday, March 3
8PM
Info, call Domenic - 312-586-6901 or Kevin Henry, 312-7 4, Info, call
Sean Boland - 216-228-7911
Detroit, Sunday, March 5, Gaelic League Irish Center, Michigan Ave.
Info, call Chris Murray, 313-563-20March 9th, Concannon, Norwood,
Info, contact Barbara Lyons, 401-732-4238
Providence, Rhode Island, Friday, March 10torium, Info, contact
Maureen Lyons, 401-463-7353
New York City, Sunday, March 1Bronx, 4PM. Info, contact Padraig
Brennan, 914-735-0246

Performers:
Harry Bray, a native of Dublin, has worked as a producer and
researcher of Irish traditielifis Eireann. Long hailed for his
pioneering traditional music program, "The  has gained international
awards in the field of sound recording.
        His research has focused on the origins and history of Sligo's
traditional music in this century. The book/ cassette collection,
"Michael Coleman 1891-1945," has won force and Best Research in the
Field of Recorded Sound Music, and has been listed in the American
Library of Congress Top 100 Folk Albums.
        Harry hasured in Ireland, England and America on Michael
Coleman, James Morrison and Capcurrently remastering, indexing and
cataloging R.T.E.'s traditional music archive.

Hazel Shannon - harp, guitar, singer, dancer.
        Hazel is a native of French She is the "Reigning Queen of
Coleman Country." In addition to her beauty and accompoished Musician,
Singer and Dancer. Winner of many well-known competitions, she t
sessions and concerts in Sligo/ Roscommon and also performs regularly
with tili Band. Hazel is one of the artists featured on the popular
Coor herself with her beautiful rendering on the song by Margaret
McGettrick, "Fiddle and Bow."

Charlie Lennon, fiddle and piano.
        Charlie, a native of Kiltyclogher, Co. Leitrim, has had a
lifelong affinity with lie's family were enthralled with the great
music which came from the old "78" discs of Michael Coleman and Jamn
continues to amaze me to the present day with his vitality, drive and
deliverorrison was glad."
        A doctor of physics, Charlie is today one of Ireland's most
prolific composers of traditional music. Reels like "The Leitrim
Lilter," and "Kihe general repertoire. His recent album, "Musical
Memories," 1993, and book of the same title are much acclaimed for
their style, content and presentation. Charlie's major composition,
"Island Wedding," illustrates the modern composer's ability to
entorchestral arrangements. Although living in Dublin, Charlie,
together with his brother Ben and their families make frequent forays
to the pubs and concert halls of South Sligo. Their newest album, "The
Lennon Family," fiddle
        Philip was born in London. The family returned to Tobercurry,
South  Sligo, in 1972. An early introduction to the music from his
mother led to formth Roscommon fiddle player Paddy Ryan. Winner of
many fiddle competitions incluChampionship title, Phillip is closely
associated with tour members Peter Horanlan and Harry McGowan.
Phillip's firdt solo album, "Coleman's Cross," contains fine
renderings of many well-known Sligo tunes. Phillip is now residing in
Dublin.

Declin Folan - fiddle
        Declan is from Bunninadden, South Slig's birth place. Declan
was fortunate enough to receive tuition on the fiddle ate late great
Fred Finn. He also attended Paddy Ryan for formal classes. Declan is
an All-Ireland Champion fiddle player. Though still of the yoan is
regarded as a fine exponent of the Sligo style. Declan has been
enjoying tist and session musician.

P.J. Hernon - button accordion
        P.J., a native of Carna, in the Connemara Gaeltacht, has lived
for some years with his wife and family in Gorteen, Co. Sligo.
        Formerly a member of the much-acclaimere recently been a
founding member of the popular Ceili Group, "The Swallow's TIreland
has gone "set dancing mad," "The Swallow's Tail" are among the leaders
nd. P.J. has released a number of albums, among which are "Buail Cois
Air" and ecially timed for set dancing. The album, "The Floating
Crowbar" has P.J. playing splendid duet selections with his brother
Marcus on concert flute
        Peter was born, and has lived all his life in Killavil, at the
heart of the Soduced to the music by his mother, a fine fiddle and
accordion player, Peter has had a very full lifetime of learning and
sharing the m's renowned partnership with fiddle player Fred Finn
lasted from 1959 until Fred's death in 1986.
        Their duet album, "Music of Sligo,"ic sound of South Sligo
fiddle and flute music. Peter and Fred toured America in 1972 with
"The Coleman Country Ceili Bands." With true generosity of spirit and
concernr can be found tutoring the young musicians during the Annual
Summer Schools and plays ina in traditional music circles throughout
the region.
        Peter is a legendary figure among the traditional musicians of
Coleman Country.

Fr. Seamus Quinn - fiddle and piano
        A native of Derrygonnelly, Co. Fermanagh, Seamus has a
stroound and has been involved in the music for 16 years. He is much
acclaimed as a fiddle and piano player. Fr. Seamus ministers in the
diocese of Clogher. He has, like the Lennon famthe music of Coleman
and Morrison. Seamus recorded an album with Ben Lennon andthers, "Dog
Big Dog Little" - Leitrim music with Sligo overtones. Seamus has
plerts all over Ireland and many venues in England. He is no stranger
to T.V.an - flute and ballad singer
        From Carrowmore, Lavagh, on the outskirts of Tobercurry, Harry
was introduced by his father to the music at an early age. Harry is
not only a respected flute player, but sings with p the area. The
ballad, "Knocknashee" (The Fairy Hill) evokes memories of the hoto the
hearts of so many emigrants. Apart from sharing his music with the
people of South Sligo, Harry has made many reand previously undertook
concert tours of The States in 1972 and 1974.

Kevin Kevin is a native of Killargue, Co. Leitrim. He has lived in
Sligo for 20 years. He is a founding member of the popular Ceili
group, "Shebeen," with whom he recorded the  "Come West Along The
Road" (1985). A player of great strength and sensitivity,ce with food
humor while playing music for the sheer love of it.

See you there I hope!
David James