Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Reply to: Re: Turlough O'Carolyn
From: Pat O'Reilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Mar 1995 17:15:11 GMT

> CEO comments:
> I don't believe it was Vivaldi, but a little later; in terms of
> "travelling Italian composers" Clementi was in Dublin at the same
> time as O'Carolan, and Turloch is supposed to have composed the
> "Carolan's Concerto" after hearing Clementi do a flashy baroque
> concerto on the harpsichord, to show that a native composer could
> do as well as an Italian import. I had also heard that O'Carolan's
> music was admired by Corelli; but as far as I know Vivaldi didn't
> get out of Venice much, so would not have had as much chance to
> hear of O'Carolan ?

It may be a Derek Bell story but the version I heard related that
O'Carolan had a phenomenal memory for music (quite possible, being
blind - the same attribute was attached to Mozart- memory that is).
After hearing a piece of some complexity only once, he could repeat
the same, note for note. Whilst in the company of Clementi he claimed
that he could not only replicate a new peice but could write one of
equal complexity within an hour. After locking himself away for a
whole hour without eating or sleeping he finally bashed out his
concerto to triumphant acclaim and went on to score the winning goal
in the Eire Vs Italy World Cup Final of 1770. Of such stuff are
legends made.

I think there is a harp in the National Museum in Dublin which is
labelled, "said to be O'Carolan's Harp": the soccer boots are sadly
lost.

cheers,
Pat

Patrick O'Reilly                 ([log in to unmask])

Computing Services
Manchester-Metropolitan-University
England