Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: Enhancements for HTML 2.1
From: Gavin Nicol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Mar 1995 03:58:57 -0500

>> | Unicode support - no consensus reached
>No shit? I thought this one had been put to bed.

I don't think this is called for. Support for Unicode, and other
character sets and encodings is an absolute necessity. This issue will
not be "put to bed" until support is in the WWW.

>OK: SGML. Some thoughts. If we can get to the stage of browser makers
>distributing a half doz. assorted popular DTDs with their product, we
>can go for <!doctype foo public "foo//bar//blort"> and have the
>browser pick up the DTD and SGML Decl. from local disk, engage
>whatever parsing code is embedded, and validate the doc.

There is a mailing list devoted to getting SGML into the WWW (or more
specifically, in defining a MIME type for SGML). If one does not
require strict validation, parsing SGML should be little more trouble
than parsing HTML. If one further restricted oneself to the
TEI-subset, it would be almost trivial.

Mailing list: