Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: Two Queries
From: "Ciar<a'>n <O'> Duibh<i'>n" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Feb 1995 13:26:00 GMT

Dubhairt Bernard Morgan a la/n rudai/ suimeamhla le tamall, ina measc:

> My best example is Hurley [recte hurling], to them in the South play with
> a flatten bat, as it was more Irish to do so. The Northern heathens played
> with the old traditional rounded stick, which is still used in the highlands
> with the old name Camanachd.
Ceart. Deserves to be better known. (To anticipate correction, "narrow"
would be a more accurate description than "rounded". The side view is curved,
but the x-section of a shinty caman is triangular.)

> The Southern Irish were redefining what
> was to be Irish and wasn't anything to do with the Scots Irish.
I'm glad you said that, I wouldn't have dared to! I hope it's changing now,
but we need to keep working at it.
> I would say that Northern Ireland still divides 'Gaeil na hE/ireann'
> from 'Gaidheil na h-Alba'.
Gaeil Uladh should be the link between the two. Robert McAdam said in 1873
that he had spoken with Gaelic speakers from Antrim and Arran, and their
Gaelic was absolutely identical. Native Gaelic is gone from both places
now though.

> The Irish speak Gaelic?
> The Irish speak Irish
Labhrann na Gaeil Gaeilg.
Be/arla a labhrann na hE/ireannaigh.

"Irish" was used in the past as a term for Gaelic in Scotland by those who
wanted to imply that it didn't belong. That's no doubt how it got into your
dictionary. It's too restrictive geographically to be used by us. But when
you start speaking Gaelic, Bernard, the English name won't seem so important.

I found the contributions by Louise Yeoman informative, too.

Ciara/n O/ Duibhi/n.