Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: The Gaelic Question
From: "Cleary Timothy - KAJ, , 392nb,UID=1350" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Feb 1995 11:33:08 CET

1. After all this discussion about the relationship between the Celtic Irish
language and the Celtic Scotish language associated with it, I have a question
of all of you:

Is vulgar or classical Latin the 'sister' language of modern French, Spanish
or Italian? If not, is not Old Irish the root, mother, proto-type language
for the 'Gaelic Scotish'?

2. If (a), indeed, it is agreed that Celtic Irish was first spoken in Eire and
 not
in Scotland, and (b), at least in at the early stages and to a fair degree,
the Celtic languages of Eire and Scotland were mutually intelligible, can it
not be called Irish which was being spoken in Scotland. (I have a terrible
time understanding people from rural North Carolina or parts of up-state Maine
but I still call theirs American English.)

Tahg