Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: Clarification of Gaelic Name Form Request
From: Anna T Slawek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Feb 1995 04:09:11 -0500

Dear listserv,

    Regarding my previous posting seeking information on proper
Gaelic name forms, I feel that I must clarify what was meant by my
request.  Please note that I did not intend to suggest that the only
`proper' form of a Gaelic surname was some watered-down Anglicized
version.  I believe it is essential to my research to investigate and
establish the correct presentation of family names before I subject
those names to the practical applications and restrictions inherent
in modern-day library cataloguing practice.  I am attempting to
provide an opportunity for a fair conversion, and not perversion, of
one group of names.
    Having completed my undergraduate degree in Celtic and Mediaeval
studies, I found that years of slugging through incredibly corrupt
orthographic library entries for Celtic names has served me well in
providing the framework for such an undertaking.  If any users can
provide me with email-addresses to university libraries that deal
with this issue on a regular basis, I would be most grateful.
    Again, I apologize if any insult was assumed from my previous
request as that was not my intent.  I too suffer from surname
corruption.

    Sincerely,
    Anna Slawek
    Faculty of Information Studies