Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: SCOTLAND GEOGRAPHY
From: John Birtwistle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Feb 1995 19:59:00 GMT

->Shannon Wheat wrote:

->To: Multiple recipients of list CELTIC-L <[log in to unmask]>

->Janet, the animal I wanted to bring with me was a dog.  The idea was
->for companionship during the trip, since it'll be 4-6 month
->backpacking excursion.  But I wondered, if the quarantine is for
->rabies, is it possible to circumvent the requirement by getting a
->full battery of rabies tests and vaccinations with the appropriate
->documentation here before the trip?  Or even doing a quarantine stay
->somewhere here in the States for the appropriate time before the
->actual trip?

->By the way, it would probably help if I knew which literature I could
->look into for the information myself--then I won't have to get caught
->in that flame-war over getting other people to do my work for me.  Any
->body know titles/etc.?

I hope you don't mind me butting in.

Despite the endemic secrecy obsession of the UK Government (the type of
biscuits served with tea in Whitehall is a State Secret), they are
usually pretty good with information about things you aren't allowed to
do!  As a yachtsman I know I have seen literature about rabies /
quarantine but can't lay my hands on it (a lot of pets are carried on
yachts).

If you have a local UK Consulate they should be willing to tell you; if
you don't get any luck that way mail me privately and I'll ring round
the Government departments and see what I can do.  I'm pretty sure that
the Ministry Of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food is the relevant one.

I am, however, fairly sure that the problems would be immense and that
it would probably not be worth the trouble.  Mention "rabies" here and
we get exceedingly paranoid!

I hope your planned trip is a success.

John B
60/SN14 0DD, UK
---
 * POW 1.2  0067 * Powerline Offline reader for Windows - QWK mail reader