Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: waulking songs
From: Lorraine Macdonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Feb 1995 22:02:00 GMT

 Jacqui Collins wrote:

 >        I am looking for information on "waulking songs" that are used
 >as work songs among the Scottish Crofters.  I need lyrics in both Gaelic
 >and English as well as information on when they were sung and if they
 >still are today.

 Jacqui - There is a huge amount of information available on waulking
 songs!

 The School of Scottish Studies has extensive archives and they
 have made a number of recordings.  One tape that I have is "Waulking
 Songs From Barra" - Available from Greentrax Recordings, Cockenzie
 Business Centre, Edinburgh Road, Cockenzie, East Lothian EH32 0HL. A
 booklet of text and translations for this tape is also available from
 them.

 One of my best loved books is "Folksongs and Folklore of South Uist" by
 Margaret Fay Shaw. There are plenty of waulking songs in it, including
 simple melody notation, and also notes on the rhythm and metre of
 waulking songs etc.

 Also highly recommended is "Hebridean Folksongs" (there are 3 volumes)
 collected by Donald MacCormack of South Uist between 1938 and 1965 and
 edited by J.L. Campbell. Published by Oxford University Press - you can
 probably ILL it. Translations and notations given also.

 I haven't seen this one, but you might try "Orain Luaidh Mairi Nighean
 Alasdair" - waulking songs edited by K.C. Craig, Glasgow 1949.
 According to the Gaelic Books Council booklist, it is also available in
 the USA from Mr. Stephen Griffin, 9 Irvington Road, Medford, MA 02155
 4212.

 Lorraine
     ...a\ eilean Arainn