Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: two queries - B Morgan
From: Antony Dubach Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Feb 1995 12:13:33 -0500

At 10:34 1/31/95 +0000, Louise Yeoman wrote:
>ages. Gaidhlig was never spoken in Lothian. The native tongue was
>Welsh which was replaced with an English dialect which became my
>own language - Lowland Scots or Lallans. Welsh was also spoken in
>the west - until driven out by gaidhlig - which also drove out
>pictish from Scotland.

As long as we're getting nitpicky, it wasn't exactly Welsh, but a Brittonic
language (or languages) related to Welsh spoken in Lothian and "the west".
(Sorry for the English, but if I had written in Irish no one could have
understood me, least of all myself!)

Antony Dubach Green
DMLL, Morrill Hall         #
Cornell University         |