Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: Two Queries
From: Ms Roisin Ni Mhaille Battel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Feb 1995 16:57:06 GMT

Date sent:      Wed, 1 Feb 1995 10:33:36 -0500
Send reply to:  "Sean V. Kelley" <[log in to unmask]>
From:           "Sean V. Kelley" <[log in to unmask]>
Originally to:  Mailing list GAELIC-L <[log in to unmask]>
To:             Multiple recipients of list GAELIC-L <[log in to unmask]>

>  What we Gaels (from Cape Breton to Cape Clear) speak is _Gaelic_, Bernard.
>  Scots speak Gaelic. Scots also speak Scots. Scots is not Gaelic. Irish is.
>  So is Manx. Think about the scenario of today in the USA, where people who
>  speak American languages feel a certain sense of affinity with one another,
>  Navajo with Cree, with Crow--possibly less with their immediate neighbours,
>  just at the moment, because of the current Hopi land claims dispute. It is
>  a miracle the American languages/cultures live on, despite combined forces
>  of German, English AND Irish occupation!
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Du/irt Sea/n :

Ach, sin seafo/id, agus ta/ a fhios agat.

Hmmm, scri/obh tu/ mar a scri/obh na daoine ar S.C.C., "occupation o/ thuaidh".
Ni/ aonta/im leat ar chor ar bith.  Rugadh i gKansas me/.  Togadh i Lenexa
agus Overland Park i gKansas me/.  Chan fhuil "occupation" ann. Bi/odh
ciall agat!  Ni/ Crow na/ Osage na/ Pawnee me/.  Is mericea/nach me/, agus
is cuma liom ce/n teanga. Ni/ maith liom ar chor ar bith an cinea/l cini/och
sin agus "occupation" seafo/id a le/amh.

Cuireann an easpa 'solidarity' le muintir Crow, Osage, Pawnee
agus an iolra, agus mi/- u/sa/id an focail 'cin/ioch', di/oma/ orm.
Ba cheart go mbeadh meas againn ar stair na ndaoine sin, agus ma/
mothai/on siad gur 'invasion' agus 'occupation' a tharla doibh, ba
cheart duinn glacadh leis, dar liomsa.  Cad a a tharla doibh dar
leatsa, a Shea/in??

Ro/isi/n Ni/ Mha/ille Battel