Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: Two Queries
From: "Sean V. Kelley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Feb 1995 10:33:36 -0500

Du/irt Marion:
> Du/irt Bernard:
> >The Irish speak Gaelic?
> >The Irish speak Irish
> >Nil Gaeilge agam, so I wait for your replies on Celtic-l
> >Bernard.
>  What we Gaels (from Cape Breton to Cape Clear) speak is _Gaelic_, Bernard.
>  Scots speak Gaelic. Scots also speak Scots. Scots is not Gaelic. Irish is.
>  So is Manx. Think about the scenario of today in the USA, where people who
>  speak American languages feel a certain sense of affinity with one another,
>  Navajo with Cree, with Crow--possibly less with their immediate neighbours,
>  just at the moment, because of the current Hopi land claims dispute. It is
>  a miracle the American languages/cultures live on, despite combined forces
>  of German, English AND Irish occupation!
Ach, sin seafo/id, agus ta/ a fhios agat.
Hmmm, scri/obh tu/ mar a scri/obh na daoine ar S.C.C., "occupation o/ thuaidh".
Ni/ aonta/im leat ar chor ar bith.  Rugadh i gKansas me/.  Togadh i Lenexa
agus Overland Park i gKansas me/.  Chan fhuil "occupation" ann. Bi/odh
ciall agat!  Ni/ Crow na/ Osage na/ Pawnee me/.  Is mericea/nach me/, agus
is cuma liom ce/n teanga. Ni/ maith liom ar chor ar bith an cinea/l cini/och
sin agus "occupation" seafo/id a le/amh.
Sea/n V. Kelley               ________    __o   B'aite liom fe/in bheith ar
Lockheed Sanders, Inc.         _____   _`\<,_     thaoibh mhalai/ shle/ibhe,
[log in to unmask]   ___ (*)/ (*)       Agus  caili/n gaelach
<std. disclaimer>                                     a bheith 'mo chomhair