Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: Two Queries
From: Marion GUNN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Feb 1995 15:03:18 +0000

On Wed, 1 Feb 1995 11:21:03 +0000 you said:
>The Irish speak Gaelic?
>The Irish speak Irish
>Nil Gaeilge agam, so I wait for your replies on Celtic-l
>Bernard.

 What we Gaels (from Cape Breton to Cape Clear) speak is _Gaelic_, Bernard.
 Scots speak Gaelic. Scots also speak Scots. Scots is not Gaelic. Irish is.
 So is Manx. Think about the scenario of today in the USA, where people who
 speak American languages feel a certain sense of affinity with one another,
 Navajo with Cree, with Crow--possibly less with their immediate neighbours,
 just at the moment, because of the current Hopi land claims dispute. It is
 a miracle the American languages/cultures live on, despite combined forces
 of German, English AND Irish occupation! Doesn't make a Navajo a Cree, any
 more than it makes a Scot Irish, to speak a closely-related tongue. Thanks
 for making the useful suggestion to move the rest of the debate in English
 on this theme to some other list. A few old proverbs suggest themselves as
 being relevant to this discussion: "Tig leat de/anamh gan do dhaoine fe/in;
 ma/ tha/, cha dtig leat de/anamh gan comhursanach"; "Ar sca/th a che/ile a
 mhaireann na daoine"; "Ma/s cosu/il, is gaolmhar". Use the dictionary chun
 leanu/int den sta/ir seo as Gaeilge.:-)
 mg