Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: "Occupation" agus "Racism"
From: "Sean V. Kelley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Feb 1995 18:54:57 -0500

Jeff Morrison writes:
|[BE] Since this is in English, I will try to be brief:
|   There has been a somewhat heated discussion on Gaelic-L in which referrence
|was made to the "Occupation" of America by so-called European invaders. Since
|this is something that strikes close to home (litteraly), I would like those of
|you who support the notion of "occupation" to give this some thought:
|   I am what PC'ers would call a European American (Scots, Irish, Basque -
|mostly). I am NOT a European. I AM an American. I grew up in the Powder River
|Basin/Black Hills region of Wyoming.

Like yourself, Jeff, I also fall under the PC label of European American.
I too am an American, born and raised in the state of Kansas.  The remarks
made as to the 'occupation' struck a chord with me.  I know many of you
who read these jabs let them go by like water off a ducks back.  My family
came from Belfast on my father's side and Ceathru/ ruadh, Galway on my
mother's prior to the turn of the century.  I also have ancestors who
came to these shores much farther back in time from Holland, Germany,
and Scotland.  When I say I'm an American, I also think of those who have
come before me, the untold generations who fled their homes because
of famine, war, and highland clearances. They were not perfect, they
brought many of the same things they fled with them.  They made me who
I am today and I love them.  Growing up in close proximity to Lawrence,
Kansas.  I have many friends from all parts of the US, Lakota, Osage, and
Cherokee who attended Haskell College (Now called Haskell Indian Nations
University).  Never once have they told me that I'm an occupier and
that I should leave.

When does history end and when does it begin?  Who really are the diaspora
the President Robinson mentioned?  I met a friend in Gleann Cholm Cille
this summer from Derry.  He was born and raised there.  But his
family originally came from Scotland and he is not Catholic.  Does that
make him less worthy?

Sean

Sea/n V. Kelley               ________    __o   B'aite liom fe/in bheith ar
Lockheed Sanders, Inc.         _____   _`\<,_     thaoibh mhalai/ shle/ibhe,
[log in to unmask]   ___ (*)/ (*)       Agus  caili/n gaelach
<std. disclaimer>                                     a bheith 'mo chomhair