Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: "Occupation" agus "Racism"
From: "Jeff Morrison ([log in to unmask])" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Feb 1995 15:50:44 -0700

From:   IN%"[log in to unmask]"  "PMDF Mail Server"  6-FEB-1995 15:47:39.66
To:     IN%"[log in to unmask]", IN%"[log in to unmask]"
CC:
Subj:   Undeliverable mail: SMTP delivery failure

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 1995 15:47:25 -0700 (MST)
From: PMDF Mail Server <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Undeliverable mail: SMTP delivery failure
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

--Boundary (ID q4MR35vak3vs16XOGwsPGQ)

The message could not be delivered to:

Addressee: [log in to unmask]
Reason: Illegal host/domain name found.

--Boundary (ID q4MR35vak3vs16XOGwsPGQ)

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 1995 15:47:27 -0700 (MST)
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

[BE] Since this is in English, I will try to be brief:
   There has been a somewhat heated discussion on Gaelic-L in which referrence
was made to the "Occupation" of America by so-called European invaders. Since
this is something that strikes close to home (litteraly), I would like those of
you who support the notion of "occupation" to give this some thought:
   I am what PC'ers would call a European American (Scots, Irish, Basque -
mostly). I am NOT a European. I AM an American. I grew up in the Powder River
Basin/Black Hills region of Wyoming. This was the area the Souix fought hard to
keep (for good reason), and AIM still claims should be given back to the Souix.
It is my home. My family has lived in that area LONGER than it was ever
occupied by the Souix. I have many friends among the Souix, and none of them
has ever expressed a desire for me to move out. My ancestors were not invaders,
bent on taking land away from the "ignorant savages". They were immigrants who
left their homeland thanks to things such as the highland clearances, the
patatoe famine, endentured servitude and the like. They found a home in America
as have many millions of immigrants from all over the world.
   Yes, the United States as a nation over-ran the existing population through
settlements and outright war. So did the Celts invade the British Isles at the
expense of the existing population there. So did the Romans, Saxons, Vikings,
etc. Do we still hear of a "Norman Occupation"?

Jeff Morrison
Laramie, Wyoming USA

--Boundary (ID q4MR35vak3vs16XOGwsPGQ)--