Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: Charsets: Problem statement/requirements?
From: Luke 路客 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Feb 95 14:07:06 EST

On Mon, 13 Feb 1995 [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Luke Y. Lu <[log in to unmask]> wites:
>>On Fri, 10 Feb 1995 [log in to unmask] wrote:
>>>I think this is seriously wrong.  Encodings and languages are pretty much
>>>orthogonal, with a single encoding being able to represent several
>>>languages and a single language being representable in a single encoding.
>                                                           ^
>                                                I meant multiple, of course
>
>>Well, nothing prevent you from adding <lang lc="en" enc="whatever"> to give
>
>Which means using one tag for two orthogonal purposes.  Bad idea, if you
>ask me.

You're right, they're technically orthogonal.

>>hints to dumb and dumber language robots.
>
>I'd like to see a non-dumb hyphenator, by your definition.  My word
>processor doesn't have one, despite its being a rather sophisticated
>word processor.  In fact, I'd like to see any language processor that is
>not dumb by your definition.

Not until we have break thru in language processing and/or AI. ;-)

>>I agree.  But a language tag is useless if don't know it's encoding scheme,
>
>Just like a heading tag is useless if you don't know the encoding of the
>heading.  That's not a reason to bundle the two together.

The reason I bundled them together, because I was thinking of changing from
one language family to another where multiple charsets are necessary, which
more often than not implies a change in encoding.  Thanks for the
correction.

__Luke