Subject: Re: Travellers
From: Michael Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Feb 1995 14:58:35 PST

On Feb 28, 12:08am, Allan Meltzer wrote:
> people have their own creol called Shelta and are undistiguishable,
> ethnologically speaking, from the general Irish population.

There is a certain "look" that people associate with the traveller
population (face, hair color, complexion) . And I think there is
something to it, in that many of them do have this look.  But then
many of the settled Irish probably share these features.  But...

> Oliver Cromwell.  The most plausible theory according to Artelia Court, a
> note expert on the Travelling people, is that they are the remnant of a
> part of early Irish/Celtic society who travled from area to area fixing

I don't know how much of a tie could be demonstrated to the itinerant
classes of long ago, but it is interesting that several classes of
people (including certain kinds of poets as well as metalworkers)
had a hi place in the old patronage system & were recognized & allowed
to travel from place to place (the ordinary person's wealth was
related to what they extracted from the land, by contrast).  A look
thru one of the guidebooks to Old Irish law would be interesting.
It is in metalworking & music that the travelling people have been
distinguished to this day.