Help for WELSH-L Archives

WELSH-L Archives

Subject: How to distinguish?
From: "Huw Williams, Solutions Support Group, 851 2686" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Dec 1994 18:36:34 MET

Mark,

Ni wyddaf yn iawn sut i ateb y gofyniad. Yr unig ffordd hyd y gwn i fydd imi
rhestru cyfeithiadau saesneg o fy nghof. Cofiwch, fe geir ystyrau eraill mewn
cyd-destynnau gwahannol.

(I'm not sure how best to address the question, but I'll list direct
 back translations from memory. they might help? Remember, there may be
alternative meanings in different contexts )

neb             nobody
unrhywun        anyone
hwnt            ?
y tu hwnt i     beyond
cwrs            course
hynt            path,route
cyferirad       direction
tu              side, as in, 'tu fewn' -inside, 'tu flaen' -frontside
braf            nice as in 'braf clywed' - nice to hear, fine (as in sunny)
cain            fine   eg. 'celfydd gain; - fine arts
cenedl          generation
rhyw            sex (act of),gender
daear           ground
tir             land
caredig         kind
mwyn            gentle
gwlad           country
bach            small
bychan          little
darn            piece
barddoniaeth    poetry
cerdd           music,poem
pwnc            subject
pwynt           point
cael            receive
erbyn           by    eg. 'erbyn hyn' - by now
cyfrin          ?
dirgel          secret
arwydd          sign
munud           minute (as in 60 per hour)
ca+n            song
chwedl          myth, 'according to'
hanes           history
dilys           valid