Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Re: Input areas in <select> & <option>

Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Dec 94 14:16:46 EST

   I have to admit I'm not very familiar with forms, their usage, and
   implementation. Could somebody out there hack around with adding
   exlusion exceptions to the DTD until they're satisfied that it
   reflects reality? I recommend Earl Hood's dtd2html as a way to
   visualize the results.

I just got a copy of Microstar's Near&Far graphical DTD developer,
which they have generously let me use to produce structure diagrams of
DTDs, especially HTML for the book, and TEI for a project we have
here.

I haven't quite got the hang of it, but there's the result of
displaying the current HTML 2.0 DTD with the FORMS element expanded in

     ftp://www.ucc.ie/pub/html/htmlform.eps

and it indeed shows OPTION and TEXTAREA as being #PCDATA, which
implies they can themselves include another FORM.

I think the fix is:

<!ELEMENT Option - o (#PCDATA) -(FORM|INPUT|TEXTAREA|SELECT)>
<!ELEMENT TextArea - - (#PCDATA) -(FORM|INPUT|TEXTAREA|SELECT)>

but a quick test in psgml shows that to disallow _all_ elements inside
an OPTION, which can't be right (should allow %flow; minus #pcdata,
right?).

///Peter