Subject: Re: Type......
From: "C. Baden" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Oct 1994 01:36:32 -0700

> Any suggestions about how you people work and organize a growing type
> library?

I don't!  I can't!  It's gotten completely away from me!

I was keeping up with my 900-odd fonts, acquiring a manageable number at
a time, and printing out sample sheets as I installed them.

I was starting to run out of disk space, so I deleted most of them from
my primary work station.

I noticed I was getting duplicates, so I started trying to
cross-reference them so I could use the best version of a particular design.

I embarked on a project to print out a complete book of sample sheets, in
alphabetical order.  (I already had sample sheets by category - Sans Serif,
Titling, Script:Printing, Script:Cursive, Script:Calligraphic, Dingbats,
etc., although not recently brought these up-to-date, and I had those sample
sheets for each package I'd acquired.  For example, all of the Bitsteam
Li'l Bits Star Trek TNG fonts on one page.)

Then - another font nerd on the net sent me the Bitstream 500-Font CD and
I paid him for it.

I now, officially, have more fonts than I can keep track of.  I was doing
pretty good, learning what I had a few or a dozen or so at a time, but
five hundred at once was just too much.  I couldn't even load them all on
my computer at once.  Printing out sample sheets via Font Monster, one at
a time, would be a week-long affair.  I'm swamped!

And the thing of it is, I keep buying interesting fonts...  Poetica
package #2 came out at a good price, so I've got the ligatures and
alternates now... Two of FontHaus's "PictureFonts", two of their "Acme"
dingbat fonts, and Monotype came out with "Fun Fonts 2" & "Pizazz"
packages, and I just had to get them...

And the rub of it is, I still need (1) a decent sized rat, (2) a gopher,
(3) a couple of other dingbats that I can't remember off the top of my
head... and (4) I need to get that MS Windows TT pack that's got the
Lucida faces I want to try in my next daily-newsletter project.  (There
are only so many faces that are easily readable at 8 pt. off of my laser
printer.)

It's out of control.  Is there another mailing list called "Fonts
Anonymous" that I can join?

Chaz

--
[log in to unmask] - Home of Margarita Jell-O, an alcoholic use for lime
jello.  Email me w/  "request margarita"  in subject or as 1st line of message

* L.A.con III * Aug29-Sep02 '96, Anaheim CA * Infobot: [log in to unmask]
* '96 WorldCon * Join for $90 * L.A.con III, P.O. Box 8442, Van Nuys CA 91409