Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: Go raibh maith agat !!!
From: Marion GUNN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 30 Oct 1994 16:34:08 +0000

On Fri, 21 Oct 1994 04:06:10 -0400 you said:
>  Thank you, one and all, for the responses. I never knew there were so many
>different ways of saying " I love you " in Irish ! I can't thank you enough

 Yes, Tom, Gaelic puts it different ways--otherwise we'd get bored saying
 it over and over again to the same person our whole lifetime through. Of
 course, ONE measly form is plenty for the sort of addicts who go around
 saying it to many different people. Ni/ da/ leithe/id an Cama Sutra!:-)

>Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get through Ch. 2 of Learning Irish. In fact,
>I'm not even sure I made it through Ch. 1 ! It all tends to be a bit
>overwhelming at times, what with trying to keep track of what three vowels
>and a consonant with an "h" thrown in is supposed to sound like. My head is
>Tom Schoenknecht

 That observation: '3 vowels and a consonant with an "h" thrown in' shows
 you HAVE grasped one fundamental point: that "h" in non-initial position
 is NOT a real letter, neither a vowel nor a consonant, but quite another
 kind of thing altogether. Its only function is to alter the sound of the
 preceding consonant. Treat it as a diacritic, and all will become clear!
 Our traditional manuscripts (and our most modern computers) show
 <lenition sign> not as H AFTER, but as DOT ABOVE a consonant.

Marion Gunn

ps. Ta/ siopa eile sna Sta/it a bhfuil _Da Mihi Manum_ ar di/ol ann anois:
                       Zephyr Used & Rare Books  (prop. Kol Shaver)
                       607 Goerig Street
                       Woodland
                       Washington 98674
    Gutha/n (telephone) +1 206 225 7444
pps
   Making msg serve another purpose--here is a ritual to be performed at
   Hallowe'en, but NOT by the nervous! Posting now, to give learners a
   chance to translate it before the appointed hour. Props required are:
   one ladder (the stairs will do); a mirror held in BOTH hands. Seo linn,
   mar sin: fan i do shui/ ID AONAR go dti/ uair an mhea/n oi/che; mu/ch
   na soilse ar fad. O/ ta/ eolas do thi/ fe/in agat, ni/ bheidh ga/ agat
   le solas ar bith, an mbeidh?:-) Eagla ort roimh an ndoircheacht, muis?
   Ma/s mar sin ata/, ta/ cead agat aon choinneall bheag bhi/deach amha/in
   a fha/gaint ar lasadh ag bun an dre/imire (an staighre). Ansin, bi/ ag
   siu/l leat go re/idh I NDIAIDH DO CHU/IL si/os, si/os, ce/im amha/in,
   ce/im eile, agus greim daingean agat LE DO DHA/ LA/IMH ar do sca/tha/n--
   seachain, agus na/ bog do dha/ shu/il den sca/tha/n, ach lean ort, ag
   siu/l si/os, si/os go bra/ch, & tu/ ag sta/nadh isteach sa sca/tha/n.
   Fe/n am go sroisfidh tu/ bun an staighre beidh radharc agat ar aghaidh
   eile ag breathnu/ thar do ghualainn isteach sa sca/tha/n--ma/ bhi/onn
   an t-a/dh ort, is i/ aghaidh an fhir (na mna/) ata/ i nda/n duit mar
   che/ile po/sta a chi/fidh tu/ sa sca/tha/n an oi/che sin. Ar ndo/igh,
   muna mbi/onn an t-a/dh leat an oi/che a/irithe sin, is rud eile a
   chi/fidh tu/ id sca/tha/n. Beidh su/il againn le tuarasca/il bheo
   ar li/ne o/ lucht an mhisnigh maidin an 1.11. mg