Subject: Re: pre-Christian Glastonbury ...
From: "m.erskinerichmond-acacia-ccsd-student-93000001" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Sep 1994 16:50:34 EST

Geoff wrote:

> >...  Very few early Christian monastic sites
> >have been excavated at all, and those that have have absolutely
> >no evidence for previous ritual activity.  Indeed, where ritual
> >can be suggested at all for excavated sites of the immediately
> >pre-Christian period, it might be on the 'royal' sites such as
> >Emhain Macha (Navan), which of course is not the site of a
> >monastery.
>
> Indeed, it seems one of the more famous claims was that of the site over
> which Glastonbury Abbey was constructed, where supposedly Avalon was to
> have existed.  There's speculation that the monks, in an effort to elicit
> funds for much needed improvement of the Abbey, concocted the rumor that
> it was the burial site of Arthur so as to attract a pilgrimage to their
> monastery.
>
> Carpe Diem!
> Geoff

Ahh, but don't forget that Glastonbury Abbey also boasts the mysterious
Glasteig Stone (recumbent outslide the Abbot's Kitchen, when last I saw
it) -- if ever there was a hint of pre-Christian sites it's the old
stones standing/recumbent - especially those with indented depressions
created, or complete through-holes.

The 12 Hides of Glastonbury are part of the broader puzzle of the old
legends/traditions/pre-literate history ...

Keep digging deeper and much more will emerge, including on the use of
the 'earth-currents'/telluric energies ...

Mel